Re: Sample Rate Warning

To: Wally Strzelec <Wally@Tamu.edu>
Subject: Re: Sample Rate Warning
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 11:14:05 -0700
Hi Wally,

As you put more and more stuff on your Palm the memory
becomes fragmented.  The fragmented memory causes the Palm
program to run more slowly, and this can reduce the sample
rate that the Palm can maintain.  In your case, somewhere
along the line, it's dropped all the way down to 7 samples
per second.  When you view the runs, you'll probably not see
anything different, though, since the software automatically
interpolates the missing values.  However, we'd certainly
like to get you back up to 10 samples/second again.

To do this, you need to clear the Palm's memory, then reload
everything.  This is easier than it sounds.  First you do a
complete backup to HotSync everything from the Palm into the
PC.  Then you do a hard reset on the Palm, which wipes the
Palm memory completely clean.  Then you HotSync again to
restore everything from the PC back to the Palm.

This procedure will de-fragment your Palm's memory and make
all applications runs faster, although you'll probably
really only notice the difference on the G-Record program.
As you might guess, this condition is much more prevalent
among machines that are used as daily business machines.
Adding addresses and calendar entries, etc, to your Palm
will eventual fragment the memory really badly.

Here's a more detailed explanation of the process:

1.  Backup your Palm to your Desktop using HotSync.  Start
the HotSync manager, but don't perform the actual HotSync
yet.  Right click on the HotSync icon in your systray (next
to the time in the lower right corner of your screen), and a
menu will pop up.  Click on "Custom...".  This will pull up
a dialog which contains several different "conduits" which
you need to be sure are set to allow you to get the data
from the Palm to the desktop.  Under the column labeled
"action" each conduit needs to be set to either "Synchronize
the files" or "Handheld overwrites Desktop".  Once you've
verified that all are set properly, click "Done" to exit.
Now you can do your HotSync and you'll be sure your valuable
data is copied to the PC.  By the way, the default values
for these settings are typically set up to do this already,
but since it's a major pain to lose data, we suggest you
check it before you do the next step.

2.  Perform a hard reset on your Palm.  This wipes the
memory on the Palm completely clean, back to it's original
starting point.  All of your GEEZ stuff, as well as your
addresses, phone numbers, calendar entries, and anything
else you've ever loaded on your Palm will all be gone.  See
why it's so important to do your backup properly above!  To
do this, you hold the on/off button down, while pressing the
reset button on the back of your Palm.  If you don't hold
the on/off button down you get a "soft" reset, and nothing
goes away.  Your memory will still be fragmented.  When you
do the hard reset all of your data will be gone.

3.  Restore your data from the PC to the Palm.  Right click
your HotSync manager again, and click on "Custom..." again.
This time we need to set the "Action" for all the conduits
to either "Synchronize the files" or "Desktop overwrites
Handheld".  Again, if you don't set them correctly you can
lose data and you'll have to re-enter or re-load software.
Once you have them all set, click "Done" to exit, and then
do your HotSync.  When you verify that all of your data is
back on your Palm, you will also know that it is completely
unfragmented and your applications will again run at full
speed.

4.  Clean up.  Before you forget, return your HotSync
"Custom" choices back to their original position.  You can
do this by clicking the "Default" button on the "Custom"
dialog.  And remember that if you will be downloading GEEZ
files from your Palm to GEEZ, you must disable the HotSync
when you are done.

These seem like long instructions, but it's really very
simple.  You can do it in just a few minutes.  (Much less
time than it took me to type this, or even for you to read
this!)

Any really hot Palm users out there want to comment on my
procedure here?

--Byron Short
  800-775-9511