Re: Integer overflow

To: Benjamin D Thatcher <bthatch@juno.com>, geez@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Integer overflow
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 22:49:24 -0400
At 10:16 PM 5/7/01 -0400, Benjamin D Thatcher wrote:
>I'm having problems with booting up the GEEZ software, a map comes up,
>error message "Integer overflow" pops up then another map same error
>message, over and over this cycle then a "General Protection Fault in
>Geez. exe" message comes up and shuts the program down. So, I'm unable to
>use my program. Anyone have any experience with this?
>
>Ben Thatcher
>Apex Benefit Services & Motorsports
>Stockbridge, GA

Ben,

If you can open the program but not open a run, try the following which is
lifted from an e-mail from Byron:

If you go to Setup|Program Options|Data
you'll find two checkboxes at the bottom of the screen,
dealing with adjusted or unadjusted values.  The first is
"Display Raw Unadjusted Data".  This checkbox by default is
CHECKED.

There's very little reason to uncheck this checkbox, and I
haven't done it in, well, quite some time, since about
version 2.50 apparently.  It turns out, that with that
checkbox unchecked, we certain adjustments can create a
divide by zero error which is then displayed as "invalid
floating point operation" by Windows, causing a program
crash and lots of other unpleasantries.

The fix, for now, is extremely simple:  Be sure that Display
Raw Unadjusted Data is CHECKED.  You can have it's
companion, the checkbox marked "Display Raw Unadjusted
Ratings" either checked or unchecked as you wish.  This is a
feature I use often, and just wrote about in NAP regarding
Todd Green, for instance.  But the other one, the one about
DATA, should always be checked.

When I had a floating point error problem, which the above solved, it
usually cycled similar to what you seem to be describing. However, changing
the setting MAY not correct runs which have been saved with the box
unchecked (I don't remember for sure).

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen RF-85 Formula Ford