Re: Demo Mode

To: "Billings, Mike (Boise, ID USA)" <mike.billings@hp.com>
Subject: Re: Demo Mode
From: Byron Short <bshort@AFSinc.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 15:56:00 -0700
Mike,

Here's the proper procedure:  BOTH sides have to say "Ready" before you
can begin the download.  Then you start the download by hitting
"Download" on the Palm screen.  Both sides should begin counting through
the seconds.  When the transfer stops, THEN you hit OK on the laptop to
turn the download into a run.  As long as the dongle is attached, driver
working, etc, you should then see the run pop up on screen.  If my
description of how this should work doesn't match what you've been
doing, or if I'm assuming something that isn't correct, let me know!

Let's verify that your dongle/driver is working properly.  Try to open
the example file called "Sebring".  This is a multi-lap file, which will
only work with a dongle.  Most of the other files that are included are
"unlocked" and will be visible without the dongle.  So test with
"Sebring" and see if you can see it.  (The method to my madness here is
that XP likes to give seemingly unrelated error messages to things at
times--I believe the dongle gets checked prior to the download, and if
it the driver doesn't exist there's a possible error message at that
point.  So we need to rule that out first with the above procedure.)

If the dongle/driver is all working okay, then we have to figure we have
some kind of a strange communication thing happening.  You didn't say,
so I'm assuming you are using a regular serial port, NOT a USB port
going through a serial adapter or anything funny like that?  Because you
seem to get "Ready" messages on both sides, the two sides can see each
other, but can't seem to keep a meaningful relationship going long
enough to transfer the actual data.  This happens a lot with funky USB
drivers masquerading as serial drivers, but it's been something that
most folks could find their way around it, once that's determined to be it.

If this message doesn't make a solution begin to emerge, please call me
at 480-419-0137, preferably late in the day (4pm-6pm or so) and let's
try to work through it together.  Sometimes it just takes a little live
discussion, rather than all this typing!  :-)

--Byron