Re: Fender Mirrors - Flat or Convex?

To: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>, Rick Neville
Subject: Re: Fender Mirrors - Flat or Convex?
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 13:47:01 -0700
Gentlemen:

I was always under the impression that the forward position of the 'Lucas
Wing' mirrors ( ie: single post, threaded nut from the bottom) on the wings
chosen by the factory / dealers was to expedite installation - as far back
on the wing as possible and still allow the installer to (barely) get at the
nut through the wheel arch to start and tighten it.  Anything further to the
rear on the wing usually meant mounting from above - sheet metal screws, or
a lot of fiddling around with fender hardware that nobody really wanted to
do.

For me, that position is pretty much useless - too far forward to see
properly, and always in your belly when working in the engine bay.  For
BJ7's and BJ8's, several people here have door mounted the original style
wing mirror - the pivoting head design allows the right side mirror to be
quite useable that far to the rear, and the offset allows ample clearance
for the car's vent window to swing.  (not bad looking on the convertibles,
doesn't look right at all on the roadsters). Having driven a couple of cars
with this installation and been pleased, I will install my mirriors that way
on my BJ8 as it nears completion.

Another thing that I have done - replaced the inside rear view mirror glass
with non-glare glass - makes a huge difference for me when night driving
with a great big bloody SUV or some such, with retina-burning type
headlights behind me, and still looks completely original.  In fact, I'm
contemplating using this type of glass for the outside mirrors as well.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8