Re: Fender Mirrors - Flat or Convex? History and WARNING!

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Fender Mirrors - Flat or Convex? History and WARNING!
From: "Jack Feldman" <qualitas@millenicom.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 11:17:08 -0500
When I bought my Bug Eye, the dealer automatically put convex mirrors over the
axles. My next car, a used  XK140, had them already installed. When I got my
Healy several years ago, it had flat mirrors over the axle. I replaced them.

I get a great view of the road behind me with convex mirrors. Flat just
doesn't do it.  With mirrors on the wings I don' have to turn my head away
from the road ahead of me. I have a matched pair, but also get an wide
aftermarket (horrors) mirror which I fasten over the rear view mirror. This
gives me a great view to the rear, and eliminates any blind spot.

WARNING! I replaced the door mirrors with convex wing mirrors on my MGBGT for
a better view. THEY WERE NOT THE SAME! Somehow the specs for the mirror
curvature were changed, and they barely are convex any more. I compared them
with the old ones on the Healey, and they aren't the same. Much poorer view!.
Perhaps that is why some folks are now against them.

I even sent them back thinking I had gotten the wrong one. I had bought them
for LBC, and Jeff assured me that all his suppliers have the same mirrors.
Jeff is great, and I trust him implicitly. It appears that convex mirrors sold
now have been changed so they are far from as convex as before. As a retired
Product Manager, I know that parts have drawings with tolerances, and these
drawing are important in remanufacturing parts for our cars. I am also aware
that cost reduction is the name of the game. Perhaps that is what happened
here.

One of the folks at Moss is a regular on the MG list, and I emailed him about
it before Christmas. When he didn't respond I emailed him again, and he
responded that he was busy with the Xmas rush. I tried again after the new
year, and never got a response.

I wish I knew of a source for  the old mirrors. They really gave a great view
to the rear.

Jack