Re: Dropped in the black hole of doom.

To: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Subject: Re: Dropped in the black hole of doom.
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:34:29 -0600
There truly is a black hole. The first & only time I encountered it, I
dropped a socket & didn't hear it hit the floor.  How hard could
something like that be to find anyway.  looked & felt around for hours
with no luck. Being determined to find the socket, I pulled the whole
intake system & a few other parts to get a better look. There it was. A
seemingly bottomless hole that couldn't be directly accessed from above
or below.

A magnet on a flex handle found the socket. Wondering what else was down
there I fished some more & found some more stuff. Next changed to a claw
retriever & got some non magnetic parts. Finally some sticky stuff on
the end of a curved stick found even more stuff.

Carb parts & gaskets galore, nuts, washers, a stud, even another socket
& a very short end wrench. forty five years worth of dropped & never to
be found again things down there. I must have been the first serious
excavator.

The hole is now plugged with a tight fitting foam rubber plug. There are
few more diabolical hiding places than this one. Wonder if the factory
considered it a joke. I'm sure that factory workers must have had some
things dissapear also.

Dave Russell
BN2