H4 Carburetor Blues

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: H4 Carburetor Blues
From: "Mick VanderPloeg" <MVANDERPLOEG@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 17:37:48 -0400
While trying to adjust the mixture on my H4 carbs, fuel started dripping from
the jet adjusting nut.  I assume the cork sealing ring is shot (again).  These
were just replaced a few months ago.  Is there an alternative to these cork
rings, or some other way to prolong their lives?

Also, it seemed that I could never get the mixture rich enough by turning the
adjusting nut.  The engine would always slow down when I lifted up on the
piston.  The only way I could get it correct is by using the choke arm to pull
the jet downward.  The Haynes manual states that the jet adjusting nut should
be turned counter-clockwise (when looking down at the carburetor) to increase
the richness of the mixture.  Is this correct?  It didn't seem to do a thing
for me.

Thanks,

Mick Vander Ploeg
'57 BN4