RE: BJ8 choke cable

To: "'Dave Carpenter'" <d.carpenter7@verizon.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: BJ8 choke cable
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 08:41:28 -0400
Hi Dave & Bobbie,
You have run into a problem which is pretty common on BJ8s. The only
force which pulls the choke off in the original system is a rather
convoluted combination from both the high speed idle push rod return
springs and the jet return springs. The net result is adequate to return
the choke to the beginning of where the high speed idle action starts
but once that force is removed the jet return springs alone, acting
through a considerable mechanical disadvantage are  really struggling to
do the job.
If everything in the system is in excellent condition, all the way from
the knob to the choke arms on the carburetors it will work, but just.
Ensuring that the inner and outer cables are perfectly free of kinks,
and surface rust and are lightly lubricated helps a lot. Polishing the
inner cables with very fine paper is a good idea.
I believe that in bad cases the factory used to install a pair of return
springs which pulled down on the trunnions fitted to the carburetor end
of the secondary choke cables as I have seen several cars which had
exactly the same combination of parts to do this that appeared to have
been installed for a very long time.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com