BJ8 choke cable

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: BJ8 choke cable
From: Dave Carpenter <d.carpenter7@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 23:49:28 -0400
Hi all,

I was putting the choke cable back through the firewall, and have a
question about the block the cables are attached to. The cable coming
from the dash slides into the center of the block and the cable stop,
then the screw is tightened to hold it. Fine. The two cables to the
carbs are slid through the block from the rear, then through the bracket
and the sleeves, on out to the carbs. What holds the cable ends in the
block? When the choke is pulled, all works fine. When the cable is
pushed in, the block slides forward, but the cables don't move, they
come out of the block. The PO must have had this happening, because
there is a sheet metal thingy bent over the back of the block and held
on by the center cable stop screw. This is not in any photos or
illustrations, so it can't be right. Should the choke/carb springs be
strong enough to pull the cables back and I need to loosen and lube
something there? or is it something else I'm not seeing?

Thanks in advance
Dave & Bobbie

1960 Bugeye "Little Bits" (See link below)
http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze2z49v/bugeye.htm
1960 AH3000 "Healey Bits" (in pieces, make offer)
1967 AH3000 "Not in Bits"
Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix (See link below)
http://www.pittsburghvintagegrandprix.com