Re: gauges - comments from experts

To: healeylist <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: gauges - comments from experts
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 13:44:43 -0400
On Thursday, April 15, 2004 12:08 pm, Vink, Graham wrote:
>  Short answer: A voltmeter, by far. Electrical guru Mark Hamilton of
> M.A.D. Enterprises...
<snip>
> ...On a typical flow meter, all output must be directed through the device
> to obtain an accurate reading. In the ammeter's case, that means all the
> alternator output used to recharge the battery must first be routed
> through the ammeter under the dash.
<snip>

While I'm firmly in the 'voltmeter' camp, except for applications where
authenticity is desired, it's worth pointing out that not all ammeters
require the full current to be routed under the dash.  The meter itself can
be remote from the shunt, across which the voltage drop is derived in order
to drive the meter.  (Yes, folks, the meter movement is the same -- it's just
connected differently when measuring volts or amps, and of course the
ammeters have zero in the center of the scale instead of at the left end.)
--
John Miller, N4VU

Beware of computerized fortune-tellers!