Re: Timing the engine ?

To: Big Sixer <healey@ledwith.com>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Timing the engine ?
From: "J. Scott Morris" <jstmorris@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:49:29 -0400 (EDT)
Hello Ryan;  The following is from Jim Werner's excellent web site.  Hope it
helps.
  From a BMC technical service bulletin dated September 1, 1964

  Re: Ignition Timing for Austin Healey 3000 Mark I, II and III.

  We have received many requests asking for the actual crankshaft pulley
measurements
  necessary for adjusting and checking the ignition timing.  We would like to
advise
  you that the corresponding distance from the T.D.C marking on the crankshaft
pulley
  is as follows:
    5 degrees  -  17/64"  (  .265625  or   6.747 mm )
   10 degrees  -  17/32"  (  .53125   or  13.494 mm )
   12 degrees  -  21/32"  (  .65625   or  16.669 mm )
   15 degrees  -  51/64"  (  .796875  or  20.241 mm )

   Source:  http://hometown.aol.com/bgahc/myhomepage/auction.html

--Scott Morris

 --- Big Sixer <healey@ledwith.com> wrote: <<  My Bentley book says set the
timing for my BJ7 at
15 degrees BTDC. Which is great, but my vibration damper only has a little
notch in it. I
estimated the diameter of the damper and using a protractor, estimated that 15
degrees is about an
inch on the edge of the damper, which I marked with a bit of white paint. Is
that about right for
15 degrees? How have others determined what is the right amount.  When I moved
it to about 1" and
1/4 " it ran faster and a bit smoother, but I got some backfiring and a rumble
that sounded like
after burners. Also, the engine ran on after shutting it down. What's that all
about? What's the
story with timing? If it is too retarded, what are the symptoms? What are the
symptoms for being
too advanced? I've been working on cars for 25 years and still forget this
stuff. I guess that's
because the car hasn't been running for 8 years.  Ryan BJ7 >>

=====
J. Scott Morris - Keep Smiling, Murphy Lives