Misfire when hot

To: "healey OwnersAutox" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Misfire when hot
From: "Steve Sanders" <ssanders@midsouthinc.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:11:50 -0500
I need a little help from the list on a misfire problem.  The car is a 61
BT7.  The car runs great on short trips and on cool evening runs.  Last
Sunday I went out for a longer drive than usual.  Temperature was about 80
degrees after about 1 hour of driving the car developed a misfire upon
acceleration.  It was most noticeable at 3000-3500 rpm  in 3rd gear.  It
kind of sounded like a backfire thru the carburetor.  The engine temperature
was 190 degrees.  I drove on for about another hour - in order to get back
home and parked in the garage.  The next afternoon after work I took it out
for a test run for about 20 minutes it ran beautifully.  I could not make it
misfire.  I have a petronix ignition and new flame thrower coil.  The fuel
pump is in the original location - directly behind the driver under the rear
seat.   I replaced the sparkplugs about 200 miles ago. Could this be vapor
lock?

Thanks for the help.
Steve Sanders
61 BT7