carb problem on 100-4

To: "healeys" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: carb problem on 100-4
From: "James Shope" <healeymanjim@JoiMail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:52:32 -0700
need some more help from you 100 guys.  i have become the resident mechanic on
the only 100-4 in our car club.  i had mentioned the problem we had on the hot
day of the rally.  the motor kept loading up and lots of black smoke.  a
better heat shield was mentioned a a possible cure.  if fabricated on and put
it on and also cleaned and reset the carbs, making them little bit more lean.
the car ran great until the temp got to above 190 on the guage and OAT here in
vegas was about 87degrees.  went into home depot and when i came out the car
would hardly run for about 30-45 seconds then finally smoothed out.  happened
again at next stop.  went directly home and fiddled around a bit with mixture
as it seemed as if it was flooding or possibly too lean as it would misfire
and backfire until smoothing out. when cleaning the carbs i had noticed that
there was no vent system or overflow tube for the carbs and just figured
someone forgot to put them back on.  however, my book and the moss catalog do
not show an overflow tube for the carbs, only for a 100-M.  i am wondering if
possibly the heat under the hood is forcing the fuel into the manifolds since
it can't expand and overflow out the top when it get really hot under the
hood.  could i be on the right track here or should i start looking at
something else.  any help will be appreciated.  healeymanjim