re. Bias-Ply Tire Recommendations

To: healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: re. Bias-Ply Tire Recommendations
From: joe mulqueen <joemulqueen@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:03:01 -0700 (PDT)
Reid,
Who ever you buy from make sure they'll take back the
tires that aren't true AND pay for the shipping.  Many
people mount vintage bias tires just for show or low
speed use so the tire purveyor thinks the quality is
just fine (ie. we've never had any complaints...).
Well, in a 5 yr period, I purchased 2 sets of vintage
Firestone tires for my '56 MGA (5.60 x 15)and my prior
'60 Corvette (6.70 x 15).  For "non competition"
tires, I think they have the most attractive sidewall
but both sets had a lot of runout.  I even exchanged
one set but the replacements had similar runout.
By the way, one set was purchased from Coker and the
other from Lucas Tire.  The tires are made in New
Zealand.
Regards,
JoeM
'60 BT7