Bias-Ply Tire Recommendation?

To: healey list <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bias-Ply Tire Recommendation?
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:27:38 -0700 (PDT)
Hi -

I'm thinking of replacing the Michelin XZX 165s on my
early BN1 with Bias Ply tires (the michelins are very
old, I'm sure, although tread is still good).

If I go with the dunlop 590s, is the braking anywhere
as good as the XZX radials?  Handling and that stuff I
don't really mind so much (I actually prefer a loose
tire here), but braking is a safety issue for me.

I rarely run the BN1 on the freeway... it is mostly
for country road driving and around town... and I have
the old three speed in it - it is mostly original & a
very early model.

Thanks,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8