Re: Tranny out and flywheel surfacing/lightening?

To: Scott Willis <ahpowered@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tranny out and flywheel surfacing/lightening?
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 14:57:13 -0600
Scott,

Light flywheels will not give more horsepower. They will give quicker
throttle response & a little better acceleration in the lower gears. The
lower the gearing the more the benefit. They will also reduce idle & low
speed smoothness. Take your pick. The lighter, the more effect on both.
By all means, it must be balanced after machining.

A shop that specializes in  balancing is a good bet to do the
lightening. An improperly or over lightened flywheel can explode like a
grenade right beside your feet. You can generally remove 20% of the
original weight without compromising strength, if it is removed in the
correct places. Bill Bolton reportedly does excellent work. TRICARB@aol.com

Slight starter ring gear wear is not a problem, unless teeth are very
obviously worn or some are noticeably different than the others. It is
likely no more out of round than it was when new. The teeth are often
originally  rounded on one side to ease starter gear engagement.

Dave Russell
BN2

Scott Willis wrote:

 > What about the flywheel? Should I have it lightened? Any luck there?
Anyone
 > get noticable horsepower boost?
 >
 > If you reduce flywheel weight is there a recomended machine shop? A
buddy with
 > a TR had his done locally. Not sure I trust these guys.
 >
 > My teeth on flywheel look Ok and slight wear (more on one side I
think than
 > other) but I am sure this should be replaced at the same time, eh?
Perhaps out