Re: Car stopped puzzle

To: ynotink@qwest.net, Editorgary@aol.com
Subject: Re: Car stopped puzzle
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 12:00:15 EDT
In a message dated 5/5/04 6:13:45 PM, ynotink@qwest.net writes:

<< The black and white ground wire terminated near the fuse box is
intriguing. I thought that wire ran from the coil to the power cut-off
switch in the boot. >>

The black-white wire does connect the coil to the cut-off switch; it doesn't
terminate at the fuse box -- it has a visible link (male/female/male) from the
engine wire harness to the chassis wire harness (along with about five other
wires) at that point -- and then goes back to the cut-out switch. Therefore,
theoretically, if you suspected that it was grounding out along the chassis
(something that can happen as the wires fray at one of the wire harness clips,
for example) you could bypass it by simply unfastening it at the linkage point.
Beats cutting it at the coil.

Haven't checked the other possibilities yet, but since it's been a good while
since the car has had a tune-up (i.e. replacement of points, condenser and
rotor), I figured I'd start with that, as well as putting on my replacement
cap/wires and see if that made a difference.
Ignition switch is operating just fine -- when I switch it on/off, the gas
gauge reacts -- a good test to see if power is coming through the ignition.
Will keep you informed.
Cheers
Gary