Re: Car stopped puzzle

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Car stopped puzzle
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 14:05:50 EDT
In a message dated 5/6/04 9:26:48 AM, kags@shaw.ca writes:

<<

I had a battery master switch fail on me one time exactly like that.  I also

had a friend have the white/black wire come off the terminal in the boot of

a 4-seater and get grounded by luggage or tools or something - same result -

car stopped right there.  Sometimes 'jiggling' the switch will correct the

problem - then you know that the switch needs replacement. >>

I've had the master switch ground wire go bad on me, as well, at
Silverwhatever in BC, as a matter of fact. Turned out that the little circlip
on the
cut-off switch shaft had come off and the shaft had pulled out just enough to
allow
the wire to ground the coil.
As noted above, that wire makes a connection in the engine compartment
between the engine and chassis subharnesses, so is easy to disconnect for
diagnostics. Won't tell you if it's grounding in the engine compartment, but
will tell
you if it is -- more likely -- grounding along the chassis rail. No positive
information in my case. Will start replacing tune-up parts one at a time,
starting with rotor, to see what's going on.
Cheers
Gary