Re: Water Pump Replacement

To: "healey list" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Water Pump Replacement
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 8 May 2004 17:59:38 -0700
I've done a couple on my BJ8.

Pretty straightforward.  Drain the radiator and block, pull the radiator,
replace  pump and gasket.  Usually a good time to replace the belt and
hoses and freshen the coolant.  I don't use any gasket dressing and have
never had one leak.

The replacement pumps have sealed bearings.  The last one I
bought--from Victoria British, as a spare--came with a pulley (sometimes
they don't), studs and washers.  If the studs are deteriorated it would be a
good idea to replace them, esp. if they came with the pump.  I couldn't
find any new studs the last time I replaced a pump, but you can use the
ones listed for the exhaust manifold to downpipes with a little grinding,
if necessary.

If you don't get one with a pulley, you'll need a press to remove and
reuse your current one.  Some of the pumps come with a little shorter
inlet "nozzle," so be careful to get the hose on properly.

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net