Removing pin in throw out bearing fork

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Removing pin in throw out bearing fork
From: "Ron Fine Esq." <ronfineesq@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 19:12:20 -0700
I need help with something that should be fairly simple.  I have just started
to explore my transmission now that my engine rebuilding is done.  I'm trying
to remove the throw out bearing fork to replace the bushings on the shaft.
There is a tapered pin fixing the fork to its shaft.  The book says drive it
out with a drift but it is not clear which way to drive it out.  If it is a
tapered pin there is only one way to drive it out.  I assume that the correct
way is from the rear of the bell housing with a long punch through a small
hole that appears to be in the right position in the bell housing for this
purpose but I have been hitting it fairly hard and I get no movement. If I
have to replace the pin does anyone sell it?   Any help is always
appreciated.
Ron
66MGB
61 BN7