RE: Oil Pressure Questions

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Oil Pressure Questions
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 19:57:49 -0500
Jack's question triggered a question from me - the reference to the 1/4"
nut behind the relief spring. Is this intended to boost pressure, and if
so, does it work?

My BJ7 probably has 10 to 20k miles on a rebuild (not by me) and the oil
pressure readings are similar to or lower than Jack's - fairly high on
startup (with 20-50 oil) but probably maxing out in the 25-30 psi range
once the oil warms up, and dropping even lower at idle.

By most accounts, this is on the low side, and some people have
suggested just replacing the bearings from below. I'm more inclined to
drive it until something breaks and I'm forced to yank everything,
including the tranny that needs a rebuild anyway. But does this "nut
behind the relief spring" fix achieve any tangible results? Or would a
new relief spring help - have no idea if mine was ever replaced, but it
quite possibly was not

I've also heard that oil "flow" is more important than pressure - that
as long as you're getting good flow, and the bearings aren't knocking,
you shouldn't worry. True?

Thanks.

-Graham