RE: Oil Pressure Questions

To: "'Brashear, Jack, N'" <JNBrashear@garverengineers.com>,
Subject: RE: Oil Pressure Questions
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 22:16:40 -0400
Hi Jack,
Rich is absolutely correct in his assessment.
The only comments that I would add are that the nut under the oil
pressure relief valve spring will only increase the oil pressure when
the engine is cold. If the engine is a little worn the relief valve will
be fully closed when the oil is hot.
You can check this once an engine is heated up by installing a piece of
bar instead of the spring and tightening the external nut just enough to
solidly seat the relief valve (there will be a bit of a leak past the
threads but that's ok for the test). My bet is that the hot oil pressure
won't change one bit.
I have also found that changing cam bearings on a high mileage engine is
essential if you want to get good oil pressure. 30 p.s.i. at 3000 hot is
pretty low, but we had one customer who ran his BJ8 with under 20 p.s.i.
hot at 3000 for years and it was just like that battery bunny on TV. I
think he kept driving it that way because I kept telling him it was
going to blow apart some day...as far as I know he's still driving it
the same way!

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com