Re: sluggish tach

To: Randolph Cooper <RANDOLPH.COOPER@netl.doe.gov>, healeys@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: sluggish tach
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 08:33:55 -0700
John:

I've had this happen to me.  From your description, the tach needle operates
smoothly, it's just sluggish.  If that's the case, it's likely a lubrication
problem in the instruments head, and the tach should be cleaned and lubed by
an instrument re-builder.

The way to tell - if the tach resumes normal operation in warm or hot
weather, that's the likely cause.  Also note that if it's a lube problem in
the instrument head, it doesn't matter whether the tach is a cable drive, or
electric - a sticky tach is a sticky tach!

My suggestion: drive it as is for a bit, see what happens on a long drive on
a hot day.  If it remains sluggish, try a new cable, if it's still a
problem, have the tach re-conditioned.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb