Re: Shock Bolt Holes

To: <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Shock Bolt Holes
From: "Bob Spidell" <bspidell@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 22:10:04 -0700
Mark,

I "resleeved" a bolt hole years ago and have had no problems with it.
I drilled the hole out to where I could just press fit a short piece of steel
tube ... forget the exact dimensions, but the ID of the tube was the same
as an original bolt hole and the wall of the tube was mayber 1/16".  Don't
press too hard or you could break the corner off the shock then you're hosed.
You can use some red locktite on the tube to help secure it in place.

Carefully file the tube so that it's even with the shock flange (more or less
flat
top and bottom) ... don't make any sharp edges that could create stress risers.

On all my shocks I use hardened flat washers under the bolts (no lock
washers).   I put blue locktite on the bolts then torque the bolts to 30-35
lb-feet.
None of the bolts has ever come loose, even after several years of hard
driving.  I believe spreading the clamping force of the bolts over the diameter
of the lock washer holds the shock much more firmly.  Lock washers are worse
than useless on aluminium.

bs
Bob Spidell         San Jose, CA        bspidell@pacbell.net