Re: To much advance - more info

To: "Rick Neves _._" <Rick@genomictechnologies.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: To much advance - more info
From: "frogeye" <frogeye@swcp.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 08:53:24 -0600
Rick.
 My prior employer is doing dist. work and I'd sent him your post and he
replied to me with this:
 Spark advance is measured at the crankshaft (in crankshaft degrees).
Automatic changes in this reading are made by the distributor advance
mechanism with a 1:2 ratio (10 degrees at the dist. equals 20 degrees at
the crank).   The changing speed of the engine, ultimately the speed of
the distributor, acts on the counterweights and springs, moving the
distributor cam relative to the points, thereby controlling how quickly
or slowly the advance occurs (typically at around 3000/3500 rpm).   This
change, relative to engine rpm, can be graphed out and is referred to as
the "Advance Curve".    Initial timing (or static timing) is then added
to the distributor advance figures to obtain "Total Timing Advance".   It
is normally read in"Degrees Before Top Dead Center"(BTDC).   If the
application has a vacuum advance or retard chamber, it usually acts on
the point plate, changing the position of the point relationship with the
distributor cam to change the timing relative to engine load (sensed by
engine vacuum).   Since this is done within the distributor it also
occurs at a 1:2 ratio with the crankshaft and must be taken into
consideration with the total timing.

                                                  Ken Adams

If you or others want their distributors checked or re-curved contact Ken at
kcadams2@juno.com

Best,
 Dave