Re: Cam Questions / 3/4 ?

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Cam Questions / 3/4 ?
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:38:06 -0400
On Thu June 3 2004 3:46 pm, RAHosmer@aol.com wrote:
> No, because of the "twice-around" facet of four cycle operation, a "360
> degree cam" would still be open only half the time  Not lame at all! In
> fact, using a 270 degree duration to define a "3/4 cam" grind may not be
> far off the mark - in fact - it COULD even be right. I'm 67, and that
> expression was in use when I was a teenager.

Bein' only 61, I was a few years behind you, but the term was very much
current in the late '50s.

Then, as now, I kinda figured it was a term of art, that is, a made-up
expression to convey the concept.  Reason was, I don't think I ever heard
"3/4" without it being followed immediately by "race:" "3/4 race."  Since the
next step up was "full race" it always seemed that 3/4 race was just a
convenient handle for something between a street grind and full race.

<shrug>
--
John Miller

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit
there."
        -Will Rogers