100-6 freeze plugs

To: "Healey List \(E-mail\)" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: 100-6 freeze plugs
From: "Paul Negus" <Paul.Negus@iplbath.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:43:28 +0100
Bob

I had exactly the same on my BN4 after the engine had been rebuilt!

Some points that I haven't seen covered by other listers:

1. The freeze plugs sold by general car parts vendors may be thinner than the
correct items for your car. Purchase from a reputable Healey supplier.

2. I replaced all of mine as a precaution with the engine in the car. You have
to remove the manifolds to get at the plugs on that side of the engine. There
is one plug low down on the left hand side of the car that requires drilling a
hole through the footwell and using a long drift to spread the new plug. (Use a
grommet to seal the hole afterwards). The transmission tunnel cover also has to
come out to access the plugs at the rear of engine and cylinder head.

3. The strap kit that has been referred to was developed for the works cars to
prevent blowing plugs out under race and rally conditions. These shouldn't
really be necessary for a road going car but sorting out a blown freeze plug is
such a pain that I would fit them to my engine if it ever has to come out again.

Regards

Paul

Longbridge BN4