RE: pop and snap backfire on deceleration

To: <MOWOGMAN@aol.com>, <andy65@snet.net>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: pop and snap backfire on deceleration
From: "Quinn, Patrick" <Patrick.Quinn@det.nsw.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:22:54 +1000
G'day

I have the same in the BN3. It was there when I bought it in 1974 and
has been there since I finished its restoration in 1985 and apart from
the magic booming sound on acceleration I think it's the best noise that
comes from the car. All four of my kids have grown up with the car and
each have come to call the sound "popcorn".

I have lost count of the number of times I have removed and refitted the
carbs and exhaust system and would say that it's not caused by a leak in
the system. However if you were to look at any competition car (no the
BN3 is far from being one) it belches out a flame when the driver backs
off and makes a similar noise albeit far louder.

"Popcorn" sounds great and I won't be doing anything to stop it.

Hoo Roo

Patrick Quinn
Sydney, Australia

1947 Healey Duncan Saloon