Petronix Troubleshooting

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Petronix Troubleshooting
From: Carlos Cruz <healey3000bn7@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 11:24:35 -0700 (PDT)
Hi fellow listers,

I've been having problems with stabilizing the Healey at start, idle and during
acceleration.  It runs rough in all situations.  I thought at first it was the
rear carb, giving the coughing, sputtering coming from that one carb.  The
front one seems to run just fine.  I've taken the carbs apart twice now and
everything seems to be in working order.  The problem persists.

Now I'm thinking it may be the Petronix ignition in the Dist. cap.  This is the
first Petronix system I've had and don't know how to trouble shoot it.  I
pulled the cap and the unit looked OK.  Can someone explain the symptoms one
would experience with this ignition system when it starts to go faulty?  BTW, I
did replace the coil recently.

Also, any suggestions on how to go about troubleshooting a petronix system
would be helpful.

Cheers,
Carlos Cruz