Re: AH 100-4 Throttle Return Spring

To: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: AH 100-4 Throttle Return Spring
From: John Harper <AH@jharper.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:34:52 +0100
Alan

Sorry but I have to disagree with you here. Yes there are return springs
on the actual carburettor spindles as you describe but in addition there
is the extension spring (1B 2711) that runs fore and aft more or less
alongside the forward and aft link that goes between the bell crank on
the exhaust manifold and the body bell crank on LHD cars and the cross
shaft on RHD cars.

The front spring loop goes though the manifold bell crank pin and
doubles as a method of holding the bell crank spring washer in place and
compressed. Some owners fit a split pin here as on page C/2 of the
workshop manual and then fit the spring through the head of the split
pin but this arrangement does not seem quite right. A split pin is
called up in the parts list but it is likely that this is a hang over
from the A90 Atlantic list.

The rear of the spring fits through a small right angle bracket (1B
2714) which is fitted under the lock nut of the rear ball joint where it
is attached to the forward and aft rod.

Incidentally the diagram on page C/4 has always been wrong. Very early
on it was realised that ball joints were only safe when in tension and
the arrangement was changed but the manual never got corrected.

All the best.

--
John Harper