RE: bubble balancer

To: "'Dr. Carl Rubino'" <ruvino@ripnet.com>
Subject: RE: bubble balancer
From: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 10:06:46 -0400
Hi Carl,
That makes things even more complicated...first we require some
definitions.
Let's call balancing done on a bubble balancer "static" balancing and
that done on a balancing machine "dynamic" balancing. As explained in my
"statically" balanced but a "statically" balanced wheel is not
necessarily "dynamically" balanced.
Although it may cause some rather minor additional stresses, a
"statically" balanced, "dynamically" imbalanced wheel will work
perfectly well on the rear of a Healey. But if the same wheel is fitted
to the front it will cause steering vibration as the wheel will want to
wobble its axis as it spins.
The only on car balancer that I have had experience with worked by
sensing movement of the suspension to activate a strobe light. Used in
this way it was capable of correcting "static" imbalance but not
"dynamic" imbalance, so it cold be used to get a satisfactory balance of
a wheel and brake drum combination on the rear. BUT the wheel would have
to be refitted in the same position relative to the brake drum for this
combination to remain balanced and that wheel could not be used in any
other position on the car.
It would be conceivable that the sensor could be setup to detect
movement of the steering then the balancer be used on the front wheels
to correct "dynamic" imbalance, but that would be fairly difficult and
the same limitations on moving the wheel around would apply.
A much more preferable procedure is to balance the individual
components, hubs, drums, discs, and wheels, and then any component would
be balanced wherever it was fitted on the car.
BTW I'm not implying here that everyone should race out and get their
hubs and discs balanced...any imbalance on these items would be very
slight.

Michael Salter
www.precisionsportscar.com