Car won't stop running!

To: "'healeys@autox.team.net'" <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Car won't stop running!
From: Emil Antoine <eantoine@calpine.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 08:04:38 -0700
After a beautiful drive though the California gold country on Sunday morning
with the Bay Area Healey club, I returned home and parked my 100 in the
garage. After a few hours of waiting for the ambient temperature to drop and
the sun to go behind some trees, I started the car and pulled it outside for
a well deserved wash, but when I turned the key off and it just kept
running. My first instinct was to turn off the battery switch, but that had
no affect on anything, so I pulled the coil wire to stop the engine. By the
time I discovered the problem I didn't have enough time to continue to
diagnose the problem because we were late picking up two of the
grandchildren for an ice cream outing. I did try disconnecting both wires
going to the ignition switch which did nothing. The whole time the little
ignition light stayed lit. We stopped for gas on the way back to the storage
unit and when I turned the key off the engine stopped running. Then when I
stopped to open the door at the storage unit and turned the key off the car
kept running. After pulling into the garage and turning the key off the
engine stopped. Any ideas?
Emil Antoine
100-M