Re: Car won't stop running!

To: Emil Antoine <eantoine@calpine.com>
Subject: Re: Car won't stop running!
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2004 11:31:49 -0600
Emil,

Your problem doesn't sound like the typical run on/dieseling problem. If
it is, the following will not help.

This is just a guess. Others may have something better.

In theory this situation can happen. There is a possible sneak ignition
feed path as follows;
The dynamo continues to put out power as long as it is turning. When the
ignition switch is turned off there is still a feed path through the
ignition warning/charging indicator bulb to the ignition coil. This bulb
should have a resistance of around 100 ohms, which compared to the coil
resistance of three ohms is very high. This means that there would be
only a very small feedback voltage available to run the coil. Under
normal conditions, this voltage would be too small for the coil to
produce enough voltage to have a spark.

If a warning lamp of higher wattage were substituted for the original,
the situation would be made worse. In order for this problem to happen,
the whole combination of idle speed, required spark voltage to fire the
plugs, dynamo output at idle, & the bulb wattage, would have to be in a
very delicate condition of balance. This may be evidenced by the fact
that the problem doesn't happen every time.

The cure may be as simple as slight widening of plug gaps or slowing the
idle speed, or changing the indicator bulb. --- An easy check would be to
unscrew the indicator lamp. ---   Possibly a diode inserted in series
with the bulb would also be a cure.

The quick solution is to just hold the brake pedal, engage the clutch
with the transmission in gear, & force kill the engine.

I think there is a second problem. Just disconnecting the battery would
not remove the feedback path, but, turning off the battery switch should
also ground the distributor points & stop ignition. Either the battery
switch is defective or the wiring is wrong or disconnected.

Dave Russell
BN2