Re: Smitty Problem

To: "M.E. & E.A. Driver" <edriver@sasktel.net>
Subject: Re: Smitty Problem
From: Dave & Marlene <rusd@velocitus.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 14:08:07 -0600
Hi Ed,

Not  sure, but I think you are saying that pure copper is still being
sold for brake lines. Since some cars had this material originally, it
may be that some are willing to accept it's shortcomings in the interest
of originality. Copper just has too many failures due to work hardening/
fatigue cracking to be safe for fuel or brake lines. Most of the brake
line failures are right at the flare junction which is subject to
considerable pressure expansion stress cycling. I discovered this 50
years ago, as did the US auto industry.

We may be missing the fact that many people have gotten away with using
copper. It does usually require long usage before failure, but there is
no way to know ahead of time when it is about to fail. This doesn't mean
that it is a safe thing to do. The failure will be sudden. I do not know
of any USA racing orginizations that allow copper & no present car
manufacturers use it for the stated reason.

The UK industries have not been particularly noted for updating things
that don't work well. Especially the small industries.

Dave Russell