Re: Valve Adjustment

To: "Michael Salter" <msalter@precisionsportscar.com>
Subject: Re: Valve Adjustment
From: "Bill Lawrence" <ynotink@qwest.net>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 18:02:44 -0700
On a four cylinder engine it is called the rule of 9. On a six it is
the rule of 13. It is  based on the fact that in-line engines are
symmetrical front to rear about the center of the block. (I think there
are some exceptions to this rule, but not in Healeys.) That is to say
that the first and last cylinders always run 180 degrees out from one
another, so that the #1 valve will always be closed when the #8 valve
(4 cylinder) is open. Just add four digits for each additional pair of
cylinders. This doesn't work for five cylinders, however, because they
are just strange.

Bill Lawrence