horn puzzle

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: horn puzzle
From: "R. Cobb" <rcobb@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:30:10 -0500
The horns on my BJ8 are not sounding; the last time I tried to use them
they worked and then they just didn't.

Background info:  I recently replaced the hydraulic brake light switch
which is located just below one of the horns, but I have no reason to
believe there is any correlation.

I have examined the schematic and done some tracing and have determined
the following:

When voltage is applied directly (jumpered from the starter solenoid),
the horns work;

When voltage is measured at the horn terminals (disconnected from the
horns) and the horn button is depressed, I read 11.6 VDC.  I don't know
if that voltage seems a little low and might be causing a problem.

Connections at the horns seem good.

In the schematic, the horn button is shown making a connection to
ground, when depressed.  In the process of tracing wires I am wondering,
is the ground connection at the horn switch?  Or is there a wire coming
somewhere out of the steering column and connected to ground?

Any thoughts regarding this puzzle?

Thanks in advance.

R. Cobb