Re: Brake drums

To: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Subject: Re: Brake drums
From: Roland Wilhelmy <rwil@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 10:54:55 -0700
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:17:54 -0400, you wrote:
::I've got an obscure one for y'all. My '62 BT7 has brake drums in the rear that
::have shallow "ribs" or "grooves" cast into the exterior circumference. I've
::been told that these were not original to the car.  Can anyone confirm this?
::I've been told that they are correct for an earlier model, and that for a BT7
::they should be smooth. (or not groovy   :-0  ).  If I replaced them, what
::would I advertise the old ones as? -For a 100-4??
::
::David W. Jones
::'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
::Cumberland, RI USA

It looks as if the ribbed or grooved drums were standard on BJ7 and
BJ8 models with wire wheels.  See Plate H2 of the Mechanical Service
and Parts List.  The non ribbed drums were then used only for disc
wheeled cars.  I don't have a parts list for earlier six cylinder
models, so I can't say that  100-six models didn't have plain drums.
I do know that the four lug 100 - four cars have plain drums.  Sounds
as if the ribs were an effort to improve cooling.

-Roland