Re: Alternator or Generator?

To: Scott Willis <ahpowered@hotmail.com>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alternator or Generator?
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 19:10:49 -0700 (PDT)
Scott -

You can have your local automotive electrical shop
rebuild your generator for probably about $100.  This
is standard work for these types of shops... and they
usually guarantee their work for at least 3 months.

The other thing that may be shot on your car is your
voltage regulator... to be honest these burn out more
often then the generators in my experience... you can
check this by taking the front cover off and checking
to see if the contacts are burnt or melted... or
checking if the contact arms are bent or discolored.
If they are... this unit is bad and needs replacement.

Finally, you can go with an alternator... you should
use the set up that NTAHC has.... its a very good,
simple system using a cheap Delco alternator.  This
set up will cost your more to start than a generator
rebuild... but will be more reliable long term.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8