Re: Intermittent miss--good news and bad

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Intermittent miss--good news and bad
From: John Miller <healeys@n4vu.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 17:18:11 -0400
On Thu July 29 2004 3:46 pm, Awgertoo@aol.com wrote:
> The noise is easiest to hear at idle,and has a hollow sound which decreases
> as the engine is revved.  It almost seems to go away as the rpm's increase.
>  I do not have a stethescope and it is difficult for me to pinpoint its
> location, but it seems loudest when I am crouching in front of the
> grille--what does a timing chain sound like when it is loose and/or
> failing?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, so I hope I'm wrong, but a deep, hollow
clunk is more characteristic of a main bearing.  Rod big ends typically make
more of a tapping sound, and a timing chain would be expected to be arhythmic
and rattly.

--
John Miller

"When anyone says `theoretically,' they really mean `not really.'"
         -David Parnas