Re: tri-carb

To: "Kurt Leslie" <kansl@net1plus.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tri-carb
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 10:52:05 -0400
Kurt,
I think what you are describing is the fuel overflow or vent in the lids of
the float chambers. If it were an early tricarb, there would just be a hole in
the side if the raised cast area of the lid. Soon after, in production the
float lid had a small diameter brass tube pressed into the vent hole. On these
carbs there was flexible tubing attached to the brass fitting which hung down
beside the carbs and trailed down past the heat shield, manifold and exhaust
pipes. I have always assumed that the purpose was, in the event of an overflow
of the bowl, to prevent the gasoline from running down over hot exhaust
parts.

I cannot describe the flexible tube in detail, as mine is an early tricarb
that does not have it. I do know that the tubing was black, and at the top,
near the attachment, it had some sort of internal spring. I think the spring
was intended to keep the tubing from collapsing at the point where it bends
from the horizontal float lid fitting and goes vertical to run down the side
of the engine.

Having had lots of fun trying to keep my tricarbs from overflowing on
occasion, and not having those vent tubes, I can say it is VERY scary to see
gasoline dripping off the chambers and down onto heat shield and exhaust
pipes, especially when hot. Despite the fact that it is not correct for my
car, I am going to put the later float bowl lids and vent tubes on mine as I
get it running again. I'm thinking of writing to the concours committee to ask
them to consider this as no deduction, as it is a matter of safety. So much so
that the design was changed during the production run.     -If they have not
already done so.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA