Fw: tri-carb

To: Healey List <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: tri-carb
From: Earl Kagna <kags@shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 11:17:43 -0700
Apparently this didn't make it to the list - here it is - again - EK

Kurt:

I take it that the car is a tri-carb BT7 - the carbs are HS4's.  As Bob
suggested, the extra pipes are the overflows.  On the HS4, the original
set-up was a short, angled clear plastic pipe that ended approx. at the
bottom of the float bowl, still allowing any overflow to dribble all over
the exhaust side of the engine bay - not a real good idea.  Bob's
description sounds like it applies to the twin HD6 equipped BT7
overflow/vent set up.

Another complication here is that there were 2 versions of the HS4 float
bowl / lid as used on the Healeys:  the earlier version simply has holes in
the lid for the fuel overflow - generally these will have brass floats in
them, the later version has plastic floats and an extra spigot for the
overflows.  My tri-carb has the later lids - sounds like yours does too.

What I have done is to simply push on 3 fuel proof drain pipes and route
them to the area of the left engine mount, long enough to be about level
with the frame.  There is no way to route them through the heat shield on
the tri-carb, so a suitable route around it has to be worked out, taking
care to avoid the exhaust down pipes, which would fry the tubing.  Some
strategically placed black zip-ties gather them up and hold them where I
want them.  (No deductions were made in concours judging for this
modification - it was considered to be a safety related item.)

If you have the earlier float bowl lids, there's not much you can do short
of switching to the later lids.

If you have the later lids and are not sure where the fuel lines go, and
where the overflows are, I could try and get you a couple of digital pics of
my engine bay to help out.  Let me know.

Earl Kagna
Victoria, B.C.
BT7 tri-carb
BJ8