Re: 100M head gasket

To: "Jonathan and Carole Quandt" <fourqz@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: 100M head gasket
From: "Pat Davis" <PADDYMCK@peoplepc.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2004 19:07:08 -0400
I talked to a vintage racecar prep friend of mine today who said he used the
DW 3 layer metal gasket dry (per the instructions) with a cast iron head and
block at 10.5:1 compression ratio, torqued to 75 ft.lb. and has had no
leaks.  The DW catalog included a high temp silicon rubber sealant which I
thought was intended to be used with the gasket but maybe I got it wrong.
Perhaps it makes a difference if the head is aluminum because of the
expansion differences.  I am going to phone DW in the morning and get their
recommendation when I order the gasket to use with the aluminum head.  I am
also going to use the DW uprated studs, nuts and washers.  The washers have
a chamfered I/D on one side.  Anybody know which side goes up and why?  I
can also ask them that question.

Taken note of the different 0.012/0.016in rocker clearances from Michael
Oritt as I have an uprated cam and the roller rockers.

Dave Russell's point about eliminating the oil cushion in the ball/socket
contact before settings clearances is a good one and will try that as well.

I think standard springs in good condition will work OK unless you have high
valve lift or go to very high revs.

regards,

Peter Davis
56 100M