Re: Should I undercoat Healey? - Too late . . .

To: "John Miller" <healeys@n4vu.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Should I undercoat Healey? - Too late . . .
From: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 21:31:43 -0400

> On Sun August 15 2004 7:13 pm, Brett Bonner wrote:
> > If and when I go concours, we will just have to deal with it then.  By
> > then, we might have a proper lift where we don't have to do everything
on
> > our backs.
>
> I admittedly don't know the rules.  But I was under the impression that a
car
> configuration that was delivered new by a dealer was O.K.  Undercoating
was

Guys, don't undercoat your Healeys unless you plan to run it down salted
highways like we did when they were new. (wince, cringe!!!)
As for the Concours thing, a car cannot be properly evaluated if it's
covered with some sort of material that prevents the surfaces of things from
being seen. What a judge can't see, he can't score, so major points are
lost. Therefore don't undercoat.
There have been a few later 3000's observed with a factory applied undercoat
in the wheel wells then paint applied over that which judges will allow.
These are the only exception that I am aware of.
Besides with today's super tough and resilient paint jobs that are applied
so much better and more thoroughly than the works did 45 years ago, coupled
with the fact that we aren't driving them in salt conditons (hopefully), the
paint will stand up just fine. A quality glossy painted surface applied
everywhere will always be easy to flush out with a hose nozzle and allow to
dry. An undercoated surface cannot be cleaned and all the dirt and crap will
stick to it.
I would highly recommend your painter who just applied the undercoat get it
off immediately. It's probably easier to get it off while it's fresh, and
besides, if you leave it now while the work is being done, you probably will
never take the time and effort to remove it in the future.
Rich Chrysler
National Concours Committee member.

Check out the new British Cars Forum: