Re: Frame/body support structure

To: "Malaney, David W" <DavidWMalaney@eaton.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Frame/body support structure
From: "davidwjones" <davidwjones@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 11:10:01 -0400
Dave,
I don't know how others did it, maybe they have better ideas... but,

What I did with the frame and superstructure was, --I went to a company that
sold used factory supplies. Dollies, heavy shelving, carts, and the like...  I
bought a heavy flat steel reinforced dolly with four decent diameter sized
swivel wheels. The larger, hard rubber wheels made it easier to move around
over the uneven spots in the garage floor. The dimensions were small enough
that the dolly would support the middle of the frame, but not interfere with
working in the wheel wells.($30)
When I got this arrangement home, I realized that I would want to have better
access to all parts of the underside of the frame. so I purchased a railroad
tie and had it cut in half. ($15) I set the pieces of tie on the dolly so that
the frame rails would lie across them. This elevation allowed access to most
of the underside of the frame. -when the frame had come back from paint, I had
sacrificed a shipping blanket and padded the ties with it, using a staple gun
to hold it in place. This prevented damage to the fresh paint. I was able to
move the frame around the garage easily, and even wheeled it out into the
driveway on sunny days to work on it.

-I'll send you a couple of pics if I have any.

David W. Jones
'62 Mk II BT7 tricarb
Cumberland, RI USA

Check out the new British Cars Forum: