Re: German spec cars

To: <Jwhlyadv@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: German spec cars
From: "BJ8Healeys" <sbyers@ec.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 10:20:03 -0400
Hi, Jim -

I have 6 BJ8s listed in the registry with chassis numbers earlier than yours
that have the later style dual shroud lights in front (some confirmed by
photos, or stated to be so by the owners in the BJ8 questionnaire).  One of
those is known to have had the front shroud replaced.  Two of those cars also
have the amber turn signals and red tail/brake lenses in the rear shroud, but
again one of those two (the same one) is known to have had the rear shroud
replaced.  None of these were Personal Export Delivery.  Your BL Heritage
Limited letter indicates your car was "Personal Export Delivery (for USA)".
These were cars purchased in the UK by military or civilians who intended
eventually to take them out of the UK.

According to Clausager, the change to separate amber turn signal lenses in
front and rear was complete by chassis number 31336 (approximately).  Nothing
is said about which car was the first to have the later style shroud.  Because
of the possibility that components have been changed over the years, even
actual physical evidence now cannot be 100% accurate, but the data does
convince me that the factory didn't pay too much attention to official change
points in the incorporation or non-incorporation of changes to details.

Steve Byers
HBJ8L/36666
BJ8 Registry
Havelock, NC  USA