RE: Michelin - Supplementary.

To: <pennell@cox.net>
Subject: RE: Michelin - Supplementary.
From: "Alan Bromfield" <alan.bromfield@virgin.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 10:21:45 +0100
Hi Keith.
Re-read your mail AFTER hitting send. Missed the bit about <Handling?  Ride?
Wear rate?>.

More opinionated banter follows......

Handling and Ride will be as good as a Healey gets. The tyres are better
than anything the car was designed to take.

Wear Rate - hmmmmm.  Chances are you will never wear them out.  Throw them
away after five years no matter what they look like!

The suspension on our cars is so crude (lacking in compliance) that tyre
grip has an enormous effect on ultimate braking capability.  As the rubber
hardens you run out of grip/brakes. Not good, since the steering box arrives
at the accident first.

With modern car mileages, tyres are eaten up in two years. They will degrade
- badly - after 3 to 4.

AlanB

Hi Keith
This starts to get very subjective now.

FWIW this is my two-pennorth.

The guys in The States like the look of wider rubber - which generally means
a lower profile than standard. We Brits tend to prefer the 'Original' look
with the full height (or is it 90%) aspect ratio.  If you go for 185's then,
ideally, you would want 5.5" rims.  5" will work but they make the sidewalls
look a little bulbous.  The benefit of the Michelin tyres is the tread
pattern.  They are quite a classic design that complements the appearance of
the car (IMO).

My personal choice was for an XAS tyre in 180 section (on 5" rims).  They
are VERY close to the diameter of the 5.90 cross-plies fitted when the car
was designed.  They therefore fit the wheel arches as god intended.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm......that could spark up a thread.

AlanB
http://www.nfahc.co.uk