Re: 100 - long break peddle travel

To: Brian Mix <brianmix@cox.net>, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 100 - long break peddle travel
From: Blue One Hundred <international_investor@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2004 19:29:17 -0700 (PDT)
Brian -

I had the same problems with my BN1 until I made the
effort to bleed the brakes, by hand, in the proper
order.  Left Rear, RR, LF, the RF.  When I did it in
that order, my brake pedal feel became stronger than
ever.  If you don't do it in that order, you could be
sucking minute amounts of air back and forth through
the system.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8

--- Brian Mix <brianmix@cox.net> wrote:

> Healey Folk,
>
> Thanks for all the tips on why my 100's breaks would
> "pump-up". Not enough
> travel in the linkage, not allowing the master
> piston to return to the
> rear-most position.
>
> Now I'm back to too much travel. But how much is too
> much? When I push hard
> my break peddle goes down to about 1.5 inches from
> the floor.
>
> Is that too far? Feels like it to me, but I may be
> used to modern cars.
>
> Assuming this is too far what's to be done? I have
> around 1500 miles on a
> completely new or rebuilt break system. I just
> changed the seals in the
> Master cylinder and have adjusted the break tension
> on the backs of the
> hubs, you know those bolts the tighten the breaks.
> They are all one click
> back from rubbing. I've also completely bled the
> system with a pressure
> bleeder.
>
> Ideas?
> BrianM