Tests for coil operation

To: healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Tests for coil operation
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 17:34:52 EDT
My friend Nick Klein had his BJ8 quit on him a block from his house two weeks
ago, and he can't get it to start again. He gets power to the coil -- so
everything including points is working up to that point-- but no power is
flowing
back to the distributor, so no spark. He swapped the coil with another he had
around, but with no luck.
What test(s) are suggested to determine if a coil is bad? Could it be
possible that both coils were bad, or is there some other potential culprit?
(as one
possibility, I suggested disconnecting black/white wire from battery
disconnect/ground at point where it is connected from chassis harness to main
harness,
but he hasn't tried that yet.)
Cheers
Gary