RE: Tests for coil operation

To: <Editorgary@aol.com>, <healeys@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Tests for coil operation
From: "Don Anglesey" <Don@anglesey.us>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 11:17:30 -0700
Gary
You can test the coil by using an Ohm meter.  Connect the ohmmeter to
the primary studs of the coil. Turn the meter to the 0-2M ohm scale for
the primary winding and check reading then remove either one of the
meter leads from the primary stud and connect it to the coil wire lead.
Reset your ohmmeter to the 2M-20M ohm scale and test the secondary
winding for its reading.  If the primary or secondary winding readings
do not fall within the range indicated in the service manual or coil
manufacture, replace the coil.  My bet is that the black/white wire is
grounding out as you suggested and would be the first place that I
looked.  A bad condenser on the distributor will also cause the coil to
look foul if using a Mallory unit.
Don
57' BN4