RE: bj8 accelerator problem

To: "Rich C" <richchrysler@quickclic.net>,
Subject: RE: bj8 accelerator problem
From: "Ron Davies" <rdavies1@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 13:50:46 -0700
Rich:
My bud and I spent some time under the car this morning and are certain that
nothing
that you can see is slipping. It's easy to see the various rods turn and
move when you push the throtle peddle but you don't see any movement when
you pull the throttle peddle back towards you past it's neutral position. We
did this over and over switching places. It it was the rod behind the
manifold just above the bellhousing you would see it turn inside the clamp
but it doesn't.
We both feel that the problem must be where the pedal shaft dissappears into
the midline of the car just above the trans cover. At this point there must
be a connection that allows another rod to reverse directions and that is
the rod I see from under the car with the "bolt, lever to pedal shaft" you
say I should tighten. That runs parallel to the accelerator pedal shaft but
on the engine side of the firewall.

Do you know if I can see this "connection" and reversal of direction if I
remove the trans cover? Otherwise it appears you would have to drop the
trans, which is what I just had to do last week.
Aaarrrrgh.
Ron

Ron, I still think your problem is right there. It wouldn't take much
slippage to move the pedal a lot and yet not be that noticeable. Tighten
that clamp bolt. If it doesn't want to cooperate, install a fresh lockwasher
under the clamping nut and try again. The pedal shaft has probably worn a
smooth spot where it's been slipping.
If that is absolutely not where the slipping is happening, check the
bushings on the throttle shaft. One is on the bracket welded to the
firewall. It is rubber with a brass bushing that may have come out causing
excess slop in the travel of the rods and levers. The other is on the front
end of the same shaft, being a white nylon bracket/bushing. It may have
broken, again allowing excesss slop and travel.
Rich

Check out the new British Cars Forum: